Tuesday 23 April 2013

Tiramisu for Breakfast



The most memorable tiramisus I have enjoyed throughout the ages can be counted on one hand. The most noteworthy being the one served at Nonna Lina’s, a local Italian pizzeria and restaurant in Cape Town. tiramisu evoke nostalgia like very few other things in life and are on par with finally going on that coffee date after having talked about it for two years. This tiramisu was no exception. It was a close enough replica of the one I had the night at Nonna Lina’s after that coffee date many years in the planning.

I have had many tiramisu’s in my life most of which are completely over engineered and lack the traditional and homemade Italian brilliance I crave. Yet again in my opinion simplicity is king. Sometimes a recipe can be unsophisticated and still come together to create a piece of sweet art that resonates with us long after we have paid the bill and slurped the last bit of espresso.

I have had this recipe for many years now and only decided to make it a few nights ago for the first time. After my initial failed attempt, ‘I burned the custard’, I gave it another go and when I tried it this morning, ‘yes I had tiramisu for breakfast’, I was reminded of how amazing something traditional can be. Not only was every taste bud doing the Gangnam Style, I found myself thinking back to that night at Nonna Lina’s and the overwhelming feeling of butterflies I had in my belly as I was sitting there enjoying my espresso and homemade tiramisu.

It is mildly embarrassing to admit that I still do get butterflies, but nowadays few things evoke those fluttery pixies, chocolate, good food and desserts are definitely among them. I know what you are thinking and yes, I thought about it too, but NO, it was NOT a sugar rush. 

This was the two years in the planning coffee date I finally went on, this was the embarrassing moment at Mug and Bean after accidently picking up, swinging and hugging the wrong date, this was the homemade tiramisu I had at Nonna Lina’s on that clear spring night that transported my taste buds back to old Italy and this was the satisfying feeling of sweet, rich custard layered between espresso and Grappa soaked Savoiardi biscuits with a twist of grated sweet chocolate, all coming together as one to create a simplistic but absolutely delicious after dinner or teatime dessert.    




Tiramisu

  • 4 tbs freshly brewed espresso
  • 2 tbs Grappa
  • 6 eggs, separated
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2/4 cup Milk
  • 1 ¼ cups heavy cream
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 500g Mascarpone Cheese
  • 2 packages Savoiardi biscuits (Ladyfingers)
  • Unsweetened Cocoa powder for dusting
  • 60 g sweet milk chocolate grated


Step 1 – In a small bowl, combine the coffee and grappa; set aside

Step 2 – In a medium saucepan, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until well blended. Whisk in the milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Boil gently for 1 minute, remove from heat and allow cooling. Cover tightly and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.

Step 3 – In a large bowl, beat the cream with vanilla until stiff peaks form.

Step 4 – Whisk the Mascarpone into the cooled egg yolk mixture until smooth.

Step 5 – Split the Savoiardi biscuits in half and drizzle with coffee and grappa mixture.

Step 6 – Arrange half soaked Savoiardi biscuits in bottom of a 18 x 30 centimetre dish.

Step 7 – Spread half of the Mascarpone mixture over the Savoiardi biscuits, then half of the whipped cream over that. Repeat layers and sprinkle with grated chocolate between layers.

Step 8 – Cover and refrigerate 4 – 6 hours before serving.

Step 9 – After 4-6 hours dust with cocoa powder and serve.




No comments:

Post a Comment